2014/10/15

Langar @Guru Nanak Sikh Temple, Woolgoolga

Langar: Every gurdwara has a langar where all people are welcome to a free meal regardless of their sex, colour or religion. There are no rituals observed in the langar (kitchen) and everyone eats together. All the food is vegetarian so that no religious group is offended.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji established the langar because he rejected the Hindu caste system where people of different castes do not eat together. Guru Nanak Dev Ji wanted to stress the idea that everyone is equal. Everyone shares the tasks of preparation, cooking, serving and cleaning. This shows sewa - selfless service to the others in the sadhsangat (community), the gurdwara, and the world outside.

Guru Nanak Sikh Temple is the architecural landmark of Woolgoolga, a huge and imposing white structure, that's the town's main attraction. It was built by the town's Sikh residents whose ancestors travelled to the North Coast around the time of Australian Federation.


I was amazed when passing this architecture this afternoon, my friend told me that this was Indian Temple, and suggested to have free meal tonight. I always admire Indian culture. When I saw another friend's Facebook status, showing that having free meal in Indian temple, I envied and commmented that "Good to experience different culture". And I haven't thought I can experience after 10 days...


The meal is fabulous!!! However, I feel embarrassed that I don't know how to eat the bread and put all the chili inside, and a western guy teases at me>_<


Masala Chai / Chai Tea


Reference:
http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/north-coast/coffs-harbour-area/woolgoolga
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/rs/prejudice/sikhismrev4.shtml
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...